Neighbor

Damn where do I even begin?
You were the first friend I ever made
I was only 3, you were only 5
But the day I met you I could see
You really really didn’t like me
What was it that made you so mad?
Was it how I looked?
Was it my voice?
Were you just born full of hatred?
What did I do?

Because you were my first friend
I didn’t know any better
I thought that was what a friend was
Someone who hurt you
Someone who teased you
Someone who made you question the world

It’s crazy how easily a young mind can be tricked
When your split personality rapidly decided
Today we are friends
Today I hate you
Today I care how you feel
Today I want to Hurt you
Today you are my sister
Today you are my enemy

I never knew which side I would get
Can we play barbies?
Please stop hitting me
Can we go outside?
No! Don’t push me in the street
Can we watch a movie?
That is NOT a centipede

I trusted you
I cared for you
I loved you
I believed in you

I tolerated you making fun of me
Freckled faced freak
Four eyes
Bird-Turd

I tolerated you leaving me out
At your birthday party
My first slumber party
My first night sleeping out in the cold

I tolerated you dressing me up
Clown makeup
A rat nest for hair
An hour of tears in the shower

I tolerated your family
Eat the damn food
Beer cans at my feet
My lungs choking on the smoke

I couldn’t take it anymore
When every friendship I made after you
Ended in failure
Ended in my heart being broken
I couldn’t take it anymore
When you put the shock collar on my neck
The pain was too much
The pain was numbing
I couldn’t take it anymore
When you held the knife to my throat
When you made sure that I knew
I had no choice
I had to obey you
I couldn’t take it anymore
When you tied me to the chair
Left me
Gagged me

It was just a game you said
I didn’t know it was all wrong
It was just a game you said
I didn’t know it would ruin my life
Haunt my memories
Block them
Block them
Please just block the memories

There was no escape
You lived next door
There was no escape
You went to my school
There was no escape
Your friends followed me home
There was no escape
You had a key to my house
There was no escape

No one believed me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Parents (poem)

Apricot Tree