Poems to My Great Uncle

The Smell of His Home
The smell of the house was old
Not like the smell of mold
But of dust, newspaper, and Snapple Tea
Warm Chili and Soup, homemade
In my mind, the smell will never fade


Lizard Wart
You had this big knobby mole
You said you got it meeting your goal
The lizard was so quick
And when you caught it, it did not lick
The bite left behind a big bump
You called it a wart but it was just a lump


His Room
I cannot go in that room

Without feeling the deepest gloom

So many memories burn in my head

Of my sweet uncle who is now dead
No one understands why I cannot go in that room
But my heart feels an oncoming doom

Powerless
I felt so powerless
I could no longer dream of happiness
His life was coming to an end
Was there nothing I could mend?
I watched his body waste away
That truly was the worst day

Lonely
When I feel lonely with no one to hear my grumble
I find myself talking to my deceased uncle
He left me 3 years ago
But I cannot let his memory go
I can almost hear his voice
But having him alive would be a better choice

Comments

  1. My old dog ate a lizard once... it was odd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you said the "the Snapple tea" "warm chili" and "soup" that made it feel cozy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Parents (poem)

Apricot Tree